The first time I went shopping for all this new “healthy” food, I was quite overwhelmed. There were so many new things I needed, and I didn’t even know where to find half of them in the grocery store. However, after than initial trip to the grocery store it’s been much easier because I’ve realized there a lot of things that you can and will use over and over again. Here are some basic items that should be a staple in your kitchen:
- Olive Oil!! – I can’t tell you how often I use this. Almost every time I cook I begin by spraying my pan with olive oil, and I toss just about every vegetable I cook with olive oil and herbs. It’s a much healthier substitute for other oils you may use.
- Greek Yogurt – This is an awesome source of protein, which as I’ve mentioned before is a huge staple of any healthy diet. It’s a great go-to breakfast item when you don’t have time to cook. Pair it with a cup of berries, and you’ve got a great start to your day. It’s also a good choice for a snack.
- A collection of your favorite herbs and spices – Use these to add flavor to vegetables, chicken, whatever you like. Remember, we don’t want our food to be dull or we won’t keep eating it.
- Agave – Agave is a natural sweetener that can serve as a substitute for sugar. It is quite sweet so you can use much less of it. For instance, you can 2/3 cup of agave for 1 cup of sugar. I like to use it to sweeten oatmeal, and I also use it when making vinaigrette dressings.
- A fresh supply of fruits and veggies – It’s good to always have these things on hand so that you’re always ready to have a healthy snack or prepare a healthy meal. One of my go-to recipes for dinner has become stir-fry veggies because it’s quick, easy, and delicious. If I didn’t have these things on hand, however, I wouldn’t be able to just whip this up whenever I wanted. It’s all about reducing temptaion. If you don’t have fruits or vegetables in the fridge, those potato chips will be much more tempting.
- Eggs – I use eggs ALL the time. Omelets for breakfast. Hard-boiled eggs for a snack or with lunch, Frittatas for dinner. You get the idea. Just remember, we’re primarily going to be eating the whites.
- A great set of knives! – Okay, not a grocery item, but SO essential! You’re going to do a lot of chopping with all those vegetables you’re going to be eating, so you need a nice set of sharp knives.
It’s really all about preparation. Have a healthy supply of food on hand at all times. That way when unhealthy temptations come creepin’ you can reach for something else.